Partnering with your doctor

Two important goals to treating advanced cancer are:

1. Managing the disease
2. Managing the pain

Who should I turn to?

If you’re wondering who you should talk to about Strontium89, you’ve come to the right place.  Many people with cancer have a robust cancer care team. Here’s some guidance based on the types of doctors and resources available to support your conversations.

Radiation Oncologist

Many people with cancer see a radiation oncologist. Radiation oncologists prescribe and administer radiation directly to tumors, often using external beam radiation therapy (EBRT)—a common treatment for bone mets. Because Strontium89 is a form of radiation, your radiation oncologist is the ideal person to connect with about adding it to your treatment plan. If you are already receiving EBRT for pain caused by bone mets, adding Strontium89 to your EBRT may provide additional relief.

Medical Oncologist

Although they may be less familiar with radionuclide therapies like Strontium89, your medical oncologist plays an important role in all treatment decisions, including pain management and balancing different systemic treatments. When discussing Strontium89 with your medical oncologist, be sure to share the following information:

  1. How pain from bone mets affects your daily living.
  2. Any treatment preferences you may have. For example, whether you prefer not to take opioids, if possible.
  3. Your pain relief goals.
  4. Why you want to consider treatment with Strontium89.

Our Nurse Navigators are here to answer your questions. Simply call (866) 844-2799 or email and you will receive a reply within 24 hours.



Useful tips and topics to support your conversation with your cancer care team. Print and complete the Doctor Discussion Guide.



Do you have questions about what should happen before, during, and after treatment with Strontium89?

The information contained in this section is intended for US healthcare professionals only.